Care of Your Prosthesis
Your prosthesis is to be retained by use of a medical grade adhesive.
If the following guidelines are adhered to, your prosthesis should give good service.
- Clean your skin with mild soap and water and dry thoroughly.
- Apply a thin film of the comfeel skin conditioner in the area where the prosthesis is to be placed - allow to dry for 1 minute.
- Apply the adhesive sparingly to the prosthesis in the area that you have been shown. Avoid applying adhesive to the very fine edge
of your prosthesis (see point 5)
- Allow the adhesive to dry for 1-2mins (if you are using 'white' adhesive, allow it to turn completely clear) and then position the
prosthesis onto the skin and apply pressure for 30 seconds.
- Once firmly in position use a cotton tip applicator to apply a very thin quantity of edge adhesive to the skin where the feathery
edge is to be adhered. Firmly press the edge into place and wip away any excess material with a tissue. When removing the prosthesis
the edge adhesive can be wiped away with a tissue.
- To remove the prosthesis insert a cotton tip applicator soaked in the remover beneath the edge of the prosthesis, work all around
the prosthesis until the prosthesis lifts away from your skin. DO NOT TEAR OR PULL the prosthesis from your skin as this will damage
both the prosthesis and your skin.
- Once removed, clean any remaining adhesive from both the prosthesis and your skin as you have been shown by using the remover and
a gauze swab (or by rolling the adhesive off if the white adhesive has been supplied). The thin edges of your prosthesis will 'curl'
as a result of using the remover, this is perfectly normal and the prosthesis must be handled with great care at this stage.
The edges will return to normal within 1-2 mins.
- The prosthesis should be gently washed in a dilute solution of hair shampoo or liquid soap, rinsed thoroughly and dried with tissue.
- Try not to rub the surface of the prosthesis excessively as this can affect the stain sealant.
During the application and removal of your prosthesis - Patience is important, always allow sufficient time for the procedure.
By using adhesive correctly you may find that your prosthesis remains in place for several days or longer.
This is perfectly acceptable when using the tissue conditioner as this protects your skin, However, it is important to allow
your skin to 'breathe', by leaving the prosthesis off (preferably over night.
All adhesives and removers are medical grade, in the unlikely event that you experience a skin problem, cease use of the prosthesis
and contact the clinic immediately.